As soon as the weather switches from summer into fall, all I want to eat are carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs. Anybody else have this problem? This certainly hit of the bill of a carb loaded, classic brunch option. I could’ve served it with a side of steamed greens, buuuut I was too lazy this particular morning. It’s unusual at this point that I have a day off.. So getting to make brunch is a wonderful treat.
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp cold coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add cold coconut oil and use fingers or a pastry cutter to combine the two until only small pieces remain and it looks like sand.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon, stir gently while pouring in the almond milk mixture 1/4 cup at a time. You may not need all of it. Stir until just slightly combined – it will be sticky.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, dust the top with a bit of flour and then very gently turn the dough over on itself 5-6 times – hardly kneading.
- Form into a 1-inch thick disc, handling as little as possible.
- Use a 1-inch thick dough cutter or a similar-shape object with sharp edges and push straight down through the dough, then slightly twist. Repeat and place biscuits on a baking sheet in two rows, making sure they just touch – this will help them rise uniformly. Gently reform the dough and cut out one or two more biscuits – you should have 7-8.
- Next brush the tops with a bit more of melted coconut oil and gently press a small divot in the center using two fingers. This will also help them rise evenly, so the middle won’t form a dome.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until fluffy and slightly golden brown. Serve immediately. Let remaining biscuits cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or bag.
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 Tbsp gluten free flour blend
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Heat oil in medium sized skillet.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Add parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Whisk flour into almond milk. Pour into skillet and stir quickly.
- Stir until well combined and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat once thickened to a gravy and serve over biscuits.
Don’t forget the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck!!