I realized one day how gross it was that it’d been months, ughhh yes, months since I’d cleaned my yoga mat (or my four year old niece’s yoga mat!) To the computer I went to research possible natural cleaners for our disgusting mats.
I read a lot about the difference between open cell and closed cell mats while researching what to use to clean them well. I read that it’s not recommended to use essential oils on open cell mats… Because they’re porous they absorb moisture, aka sweat, and they can be harder to clean than closed cell mats. My yoga practice is usually more slow and restorative than sweaty, so I don’t need a grippier, moisture absorbing mat. Both of mine are closed cell Gaiam mats.
Sooooo. To sum all that up, from my research, this yoga mat cleaner should be totally good to go for closed cell mats. Open cell mats are a different story (I did read that a vinegar water solution can be used to clean them, but I didn’t try that myself!). I really love the scent combo here, I wanted to keep the scents soothing in case their smell lingered.
- colored glass 2 oz. spray bottle (I recommend colored and glass to keep the essential oils most pure)
- filtered water
- witch hazel
- 15 drops each lemon and lavender essential oil
1. Fill the glass bottle ¾ of the way full with filtered water.
2. Add a 1 tsp of witch hazel. I eyeballed it… It doesn’t have to be perfect.
3. Add the essential oils.
4. Shake to combine.
5. Spray and gently wipe your mat clean!
6. Once it’s dry, enjoy yourself some yoga on a wonderful smelling clean mat!!