I made this for Easter this year as a dupe for a creamy broccoli salad we made at the co-op I used to work at. The recipe we made there had vegan mayo for the sauce base, but I wanted to attempt a more whole food based version. It turned out great, and my darling cousin just texted to ask for the recipe (Hi Katie!). It’d been in my mental draft folder for the last few weeks, so I figured I’d sit down and type.
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked in water for one hour, then drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, more if needed
- Juice of one half lemon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- water- add 1 tablespoon at a time until sauce is creamy and pourable
Blend sauce ingredients until creamy. Pour over other ingredients and stir until broccoli is coated and combined well.